I am sitting in our room writing to you - and Eric is trying to explain to our social worker what an actuary does. He's having his individual interview, and we've just passed the home inspection. Glad it's over. After today, no more visits :) until we have a baby!
Yesterday we got dressed in a bunch of different tops and took pictures in different places. We started out with a picture of us with our bikes in the driveway. Then we went to breakfast where I took a picture of Eric reading the paper. Next, we were off to the Pasadena farmers' market for a photo shoot of me picking out fruit, vegetables, and flowers. After that, the Huntington Library and Gardens for a snapshot. So contrived - but I asked our graphic designer if we needed certain photos - and I got a very specific list - that included the above. All because in our profile text I mention some sort of affinity for museums, bike rides, neighborhood cafes, and farmers' markets. I'm sure all of you take pictures of yourselves in these locations. (If you're thinking of adopting, start documenting your life with a real camera - phone cameras don't count).
So - now that we are done with home study, photos, profile, .... what is the next project? Here's where I'd like your opinions. It's about baby preparation. Getting the stuff in place.
It seems less charged to set up a nursery for A baby than for THE baby. I feel like if I wait until we get matched and then start doing it - and then something happens (match falls through for some reason) - all those things will have been bought for that particular baby - and then they will have some sort of attachment to them. If I do it now while we know there will be A baby (not a particular baby), then the stuff seems more neutral. I know we can put a nursery together in a snap - get a crib here overnight. But I don't want to be on Amazon.com when our birthmom is in labor. What do you think? Please email. Thanks.
How much notice will you have in regard to who your birth mother is? Will she find out the baby's gender? I think if you have enough time and know the gender, you certainly can think, "A Baby". Of course, we will all be praying for an easy delivery for the woman and "A Baby". Also, people will be giving you shower(s) ahead, right? So get prepared. That is what everyone does when they're expecting. It's so much fun getting ready. Plus you probably have friends who will want to give you things. Our daughter was given a crib which is great. And she bought baby furniture with the gift cards she received at showers. I am probably rambling at this point, but I think you should just go for it once you are aware that "A Baby" is definitely on the way. XO
ReplyDeleteI'll try to answer all of those questions in the next post. :)
ReplyDelete