Friday, August 5, 2011

Tying up loose ends...



You're looking at our stunning new fireplace screen. Never mind that we've never actually used our fireplace - it's now screened should any Curious Georges or Georgias wander into our living room. I'm thinking that little gas key thing to the left will need to be stashed away, too. I hope it comes out. I've never touched it. There are some corrective fireplace repairs that need to be done - lining the chimney, capping it, and removing some extra random bars that cause smoke to come back down and into the house. The people who lived here before used it for sixty years - so I'm sure we could get away with it. It's on the list.

We also now have our share of baby-proof cabinet locks around here - just a subtle visual reminder to reassure the social worker of our preparedness. Maybe I'll get out the baby gates, too.

After the social worker left on Wednesday, I was out running errands and decided to stop into one of our local baby stores. I'd been reading online about strollers and wanted to see if they stocked the ones I wanted to compare. I found the first one I was looking for - and as I eyed it, a mom with a baby asked if I wanted help getting it down off the ledge to look at it. It struck me as very odd. 1. People in LA don't talk to you. 2. If they do talk, they're not offering help - especially physical help.

We began a conversation about strollers and used her child (8 months old) as a model. Then the woman asked if I'd like to feel what the stroller is like with a baby actually in it - so then I was able to push her child around for a bit. SO nice. Such a simple gesture - for her to recognize that my stroller shopping experience is different. If you don't live here and you're reading this and thinking I sound nuts - let this be a reminder to be thankful for the friendly people around you. I miss that here. I used to like nonchalance and anonymity. Now - I'm not so sure.

After the appropriate amount of pondering, stroller discernment is complete. I have come to a decision. Thanks in part to the lovely ladies I met on Wednesday.

Eric and I were able to choose our "cover shot" from the photo session on Saturday. We're waiting for six edited photos to come back to us so that we can send them on to the graphic designer. Yesterday, I sent the designer an email asking what kind of photos she needed. I received a very specific list. As you read this please keep in mind she has over 40 photos for our profile already. We need to send photos of us at: a museum, a music event, sports events, farmers' market, cafe, walking on the beach, and hiking... Then she would also like a photo of the baby's nursery/of us working on the nursery together... It's painted. The bookshelf is full. There are clothes in the closet. But we have no baby furniture. I'm not going to worry about that one. I think it's a little weird.

So - if only I had a stalker - I guess I'd have photos of me picking up apples at the farmers' market or the two of us walking to brunch at a cafe. I think we're going to have a very busy weekend photographing all of these things. In different outfits.

This has given me a great idea, though..... We are going to have tons of pictures of the two of us..... I'll let you know my idea when Eric isn't reading. :)

2 comments:

  1. The photo shoot on the weekend sounds like a riot. I think adoptive parents do more to prepare for a baby that parents who are expecting. Amazing, isn't it? I am getting so excited for you, Emily. You are soon going to have great joy and a wonderful bundle to love. XO

    ReplyDelete