Monday, September 26, 2011

More Profile Angst

As of last Wednesday, we had our profile nearly ready to go. I say nearly because there were only two things missing: formatting to go to the printer (easy last step) and approval from our adoption advisor - which I thought would be an easy last step. I was hugely mistaken.

I took our hard copy by the adoption firm's office and excitedly showed it to our case worker. She appeared to enthusiastically look it over, said she loved the layout, and all of the great details inside. We just need to change the colors. JUST the colors. They are "too dark, too masculine, too country club, too preppy, too Ralph Lauren."

I asked our new designer to base the profile on the same green, black, and white modern design that the adoption firm had given me as a sample. So I pulled that one out and asked the adoption case worker how the colors on the other couple's profile were less "dark" than our green, navy, and yellow. Our case worker said it worked for them because the other couple was "more modern and edgy". And their first picture looked like "New York socialites". Ouch. Based on that assessment, I'm now certain she's never read the New York Times or Town and Country.

So I asked what colors we should use instead. Her reply?
"I don't know, Emily. I'm not a designer. I just know that a 21 year-old is going to look at it and go 'ugh'. I mean, I'm 27 and I do."

Super. Thanks.

I guess it whacked me into the reality of knowing the market - but I'd like to attract the sharpest tool in the shed. Not someone who'd like it if we had The Little Mermaid or Dumbo on the cover.

I'll keep you posted. My awesome designer friend is such a trooper - and she's done a gorgeous job so far - so hopefully we'll have something by the end of the week. She's helping keep my head on straight and making sure I stay true to my sense of style.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment