Last night we attended our first adoption seminar. I think the best part about it was hearing someone talk in one coherent stream about the entire process. It was like an adoption volcano erupted. Well, maybe not quite that violent. More like the Energizer bunny, perhaps. It didn't feel like the woman stopped to breathe. Just a fountain of information, no periods. A website that finally made sense. As I looked around the room at the other couples, I felt as though I was sizing up the competition, but at the same time I thought - the right child is waiting for each one of us.
At this point I should mention that the evening began with the testimony of an adoptive father who was dying to come and share his experience with some prospective parents. He started out by telling us that he works for the LA Kings - yes, Eric's favorite sports team ever. Perfect intro. Anyway, he and his wife signed up in October and their baby was born at the end of December. I think that's pretty unusual, but I keep hearing stories like that.
So - what did we learn? We were at a private non-profit agency that provides full-service adoption, but also works with attorneys and facilitators on adoptions. Translation: If you work only with this agency, you'll wait a lot longer because they don't do any birth mother outreach. About ten birth mothers approach them annually. If you work with an attorney or facilitator, the primary role of that person is to locate birth mothers and play matchmaker. Various responsibilities are then divided between this nonprofit agency and whatever secondary party participates in the collaboration.
The agency takes care of the homestudy portion of the adoption. This involves an application, returning it, receiving more forms for verification of income, medical exams, references, CPR, parenting classes, adoption classes, FBI fingerprinting, and a list of other documents we have to present (such as our own birth certificates and marriage certificate). We also have to cover the light sockets and get a fireplace screen (or so I've read).
Tomorrow I'm having coffee with an adoptive mom who answered two questions I posted on two different sites - and happens to live in our neighborhood! She's made some helpful recommendations about books and agencies already, and I look forward to picking her brain even more.
Saturday we are going to a seminar for another agency. Actually, I don't know if it's officially called an agency or not since it's made up of several lawyers and social workers...
So glad to finally be on our way. Thank you so much for your kind thoughts, well wishes, and prayers. E + E
E&E I am delighted to know that the process has started, although you haven't decided upon which agency to go with or whether you want an attorney/facilitator to guide you. I will continue to follow your journey and look forward to when you have your baby. Lots of love, Alice
ReplyDeleteGO TEAM!
ReplyDelete