The new dad who spoke at the orientation we attended on Wednesday promised that as a result of the adoption process, each one of us would become an advocate for this cause. I met one today. We had coffee at a local spot - and sat outside and talked and talked and talked. It was fantastic. I feel like I have my own private liaison to domestic adoption. I think she's already emailed me five times since I got home - with "just one more thing" - it's great.
We talked a lot about the process - how to maximize our chances of success, what to include in our profile, what kind of pictures to have, the target audience (who is actually not teen moms, but young mothers already parenting at least one child), the best way to explain why we're adopting...
For the home study, I found out I don't need to cover the light sockets, but all medical products have to be locked away above five feet. Al Gore's voice was suddenly in my head. "Lockbox, lockbox."* No, it doesn't have to a box - it can all just be thrown in a suitcase with a lock on it. All cleaning products have to be treated the same way. Fortunately we have an outside storage area for that. It only has to be done for the home study - and then of course everything will be returned to its child-safe position. Strange thing is, I don't even know if we have a suitcase that locks anymore.
After we said goodbye, my friend headed off to another appointment and I decided to spend some time in a bookstore. Then I went over to another store a few miles away. I stumbled upon a website recently that said not all carseats are suitable for all cars, and I felt this store would be able to answer some questions. Not really, but they did have a lot of seats to look at. Guess who walked in a few minutes after I got there? My new friend - who was full of lots of advice about carseats as well.
Anyway, we are eagerly anticipating tomorrow's seminar and orientation with the agency where I think we will likely sign. Please feel free to tell your friends and family that some lovely people you know are adopting... we keep hearing that a birthmother could be our "neighbor's cousin's sister's friend's daughter". :)
Off to work on our profile - which is actually a 12 page brochure on life with EVs. Hmmm....
*For those unfamiliar with this reference, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BAx6Ib81Y4
Hi Emily -- thought I would catch up on what's going on with your adoption journey. FYI, you can buy a lock for a suitcase that is suitable for traveling too, as the TSA has keys for these locks if you purchase the correct one. It sounds like your new friend there has been a true mentor, helper, encourager for you. Now I will continue to read your blog. Thinking of you. Love, Alice
ReplyDelete